Kaluapele

On the Island of Hawaiʻi, Kaluapele (the pit of pele or Pele) crowns the summit region of the volcano Kīlauea.

26 March 2020

March 26, 2020: Shall we???

Well, well, well...in the words of Paul McCartney in 1968:



Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, life goes on, brah...

And indeed it does, on this Prince Jonah Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole Piʻikoi Day.  

Kūhiō Day

Many of you know that I started these scribblings nearly two years ago, very shortly after our last eruptive activities began on April 30, 2018.  I was miffed at the inaccurate news coverage, and as a venting mechanism (yes, pun intended), I decided to write rather than grumble.  Iʻve kinda intended to start writing again, but being an excellent procrastinator, kept putting it off.  Till today.  

Iʻve reached my news intake limit, and canʻt veg out and watch more of Family Feud, cooking shows, The Chrisleys and other mindless what-la.  So.  Having kept a notebook for the past couple years, Iʻve decided to dig through my accumulation of wonderings and attempt to put them in some order.  

I am not intending to write anything about CoViD-19 (Corona Virus Disease 2019).  Keyword:  "intending".  I imagine many are overwhelmed, or nearly so, with the multiplicity of news streams and feeds, and pray that all are paying attention to and obeying advices from reliable medical professionals such as our Lieutenant Governor Dr Josh Green, and Dr Anthony Fauci.  I am ever-grateful for my little house in the now-sodden woods, away from the cacophonies of our daily concerns and obsessions.  The pantry and freezer nearly overflow, the pahu wai (water tank) has overflowed nearly constantly all year thus far, propane was filled to 50% on Tuesday (small-kine rationing by HawaiiGas "in-case"), and Iʻm comfortable and fairly happy.

If any of you have a Topic of Interest I might have info about, let me know by sending an email to maniniowali@gmail.com  Happy to research and report, especially about natural and cultural histories.  Iʻm hoping to write a few times a week, and expect to find the discipline to do that.  Feel free to share this with family, friends, and acquaintances.

OK?

Backstory next time, but in February, with Papa and Chris, I found myself in Mokulēʻia on Oʻahu, visiting the delightful Jill Coryell, the Hibiscus Lady, and hybridizer extraordinaire.  More info on her and her works later, but I wanted to share a pic I took of one of Jillʻs selections, "Halemaʻumaʻu Beauty".  Those who have been fortunate to be with flowing pele will easily recognize the colors.  Spectacular!


Till then, be well.  As always, with aloha,

BobbyC
maniniowali@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment