Kaluapele

On the Island of Hawaiʻi, Kaluapele (the pit of pele or Pele) crowns the summit region of the volcano Kīlauea.

30 July 2018

Kīlauea Update, Monday, July 30, 2018, Taking time to remember...

In pre-sunrise glow, that time of alaula...that quiet time when itʻs cool and still, and when it can seem youʻre the only one in the world, when undistracted thinking is best...this is my favorite time of day.  

And I have the luxury of time to remember, because we seem, however briefly, to be in another oia mau nō phase of observing and waiting and wondering.  And Iʻm remembering my parents.  Today is Maʻs birthday, and Wednesday, Dadʻs.  Iʻm remembering how they sacrificed, taught, encouraged, and loved us.  And Iʻm recalling those times, growing up in Honokaʻa, when life truly was a much simpler, slower-paced time.  I remember.  And I thank both of them, because the foundation they laid is in large part responsible for who and what I am today...

And...The ʻōlai continue up here, rooster continues to crow, pele flows and Kaluapele subsides.  I shake my head with wonderment.  I have the luxury of time to muse, to scribble, to try to make sense of things beyond our ken.  Ultimately though, the answer to Why? is, usually, Because.  When she going stop?  When she stops. Yesterday, from USGS HVO:


In the meantime, we appreciate, enjoy, and marvel at the works of all who keep us informed.  We remember to thank all of them.  Though most media have moved on to other newsworthy events, here on Hawaiʻi nei, Pelehonuamea still erupts, homes continue to be lost (most recently by brushfire), and the lives of many are affected in ways those who are not here cannot comprehend.


As abstract as the Thermal Maps might appear, the information displayed is invaluable.  The hotter, the whiter.  Like having x-ray vision.  Whatʻs going on under all that clinker of ʻaʻā?  Under those blankets of steam and fume and smoke?  How, where, why, when will She travel?  Rubbly front of flow moves creakily, first here, then there.  "Kūlipeʻe", a word found in at least one chant of old aptly describes that motion as "To creep along, as a sick person; to stumble awkwardly along; to walk as though weak-kneed".  Maybe I relate because thatʻs how I often walk on uneven terrain these days.  Post-polio, you know...and though the walking is unsteady, good friends are my outriggers, and we go...and I am grateful for their aid.

And I going go...Other duties call, but Iʻll be back here later in the week.

As always, with aloha,

BobbyC
maniniowali@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment