Kaluapele

On the Island of Hawaiʻi, Kaluapele (the pit of pele or Pele) crowns the summit region of the volcano Kīlauea.

26 May 2018

Kīlauea Update, Saturday, May 26, 2018, 930a, the morning for Ilima...

[[a Prefatory Note:  uhdunno...Tis beyond my ken...Again, technology perplexes, befuddles, causes consternation, etc.... After saying yesterday, that the "Follow" link (if one supplies an e-dress) wasnʻt working, I got an email from "Dispatches from Volcano", a couple days after submitting "Follow", notifying of a new post.  Mayhaps it takes processing time, or what-la...
Maybe give "Follow" a try again if you desire, and patiently await results.]]

JUST as I was waking this morning, I dreamed I saw (NOT Joe Hill) my parents at our home in Honokaʻa.  First, friends and I were puttering in Maʻs bedroom, maybe fussing, sorting stuff in her closet.  There was a long box, like the kind in which flowers are shipped, on the bed, and I took a key to a lock I knew from the box.  The key had a long central channel running its length, and went with an inexpensive lock.  Other friends were talking story, puttering, and hanging out on the patio outside.  All the shrubs had been severely pruned from the Waipiʻo and ma kai sides of the house.  And there was scaffolding erected a few feet off the ground on those sides.  I walked along the Waipiʻo, then ma kai side, and my parents were near the gatedoor to underneath the house, wondering where the key to the lock was.  I pulled out the key and unlocked the lock.  Parents walked down and out of sight around the corner, having a pleasant chat.  And I puzzled at the unusualness of all those people in and at our home.  And then I woke up.  Dad died on 111101, and Ma on 020909.  And the dream was in color with sound.  And why tell you all this?  Beats me... I guess because I can.

And walking to the kitchen, the room glowed pink.  Thin thin overcast, with just the right dawnlight, made me feel as though I was inside that towering pink cloud over Puʻuʻōʻō several weeks ago.

TODAY AT THE SUMMIT REGION OF KĪLAUEA

BIG ash at dawn.  Those webcams are addictive.  There are two on the edge of Kaluapele: one in the tower at HVO:

KIcam at HVO

and the other on Volcano House, outside the back, crater-side door:

VHouse CAM

Click on images, then RightClick to Save...

A screenshot of a USGS video from Volcano House at 6p on TH, 052418, shows two plumes rising from Halemaʻumaʻu (HMM):  the left dark ashy, and the right white steamy:

VID HMM from VHouse, TH, 052418, 6p


And those two continue today...


No idea how or why, but looks to me that the lua on the floor of HMM is big, and maybe there are two?  Time will tell.

cool tri-color at about 540a today

There are, of course, ʻōlaʻi (earthquakes) at the summit.  One thing to note:  After an eq, the initial magnitude reading is reviewed, and it may, and with bigger ones, often does, change.  Media seems to get stuck with the initial.  So yesterdayʻs "M4.4" at 12:43:40, was downgraded to a M4.0, a fairly significant difference to me.  And it was 0.2mi deep (or shallow) which makes for a more jolting experience, (as my house wobbles from smaller ones). 
Pretty sure youʻll be able to see the url address at the top of the image below.



AND WHAT IN KEAHIALAKA?

BRIGHT this morning, and the kinda of slack airs make for serious hauna (smell of volcanic sulphur):



And ʻōlaʻi are fairly quiet (no Reds), and the ERZ (East Rift Zone) Tilt seems to be leveling out a bit...


Two Days of ERZ Tilt.  Big blip is the M4.0eq yesterday at 12:44pm


And we close with a lovely Hitchcock-esqe view from USGS of Fissure6 yesterday morning, 052518.  Pāhoehoe also means "satin", as in the drapeable fabric.  Note the silver-grey (hot, fluid, fresh) on the (not much) older very dark grey:

pā.hoe.hoe1. nvt. Smooth, unbroken type of lava, contrasting with ʻaʻā; to turn into pāhoehoe lava (see ex., namu 2).
2. n. Satin. Pāhoehoe lau, brocaded satin.


OK then.  On with the day.  Stay safe, be well, and try help those in need as you are able.

As always, with aloha,

BobbyC

No comments:

Post a Comment